A real centre of cultural events deeply rooted in the overall social and economic life of the city, the Cultural Centre is to a large extent the initiator and creator of the cultural habits of the citizens of Cacak. It is located at the heart of the city, inside a remarkable edifice (with approximately 4,000 square metres of useful area), the work of the Zagreb-based architect Luj Šverer from 1970.
The idea of constructing and setting up the Cultural Centre was conceived in late 1950s, after the closing of the City National Theatre as a venue for different social and cultural events, literary evenings, lectures and concerts.
The City Library was named after the poet Vladislav Petković Dis, founder of modern Serbian poetry. The library today has around 140 000 books, including the legacy archive with a number of old and rare books. W
ith its around 5,000 regular members, the library has frequently appeared in recent decades as a major publisher and has an international reputation beyond the borders of Serbia as the organiser of the Dis Spring poetry festival, traditionally honouring Vladislav Petkovića Dis and poetry.
The first Dis Spring festival took place on 13 th April 1964, when another famous local poet Branko V. Radičević spoke at the bust of his great predecessor. Over the years, the Dis Spring festival has hosted some of the most significant poets of 20 th century.
Оrganised protection of archive materials within the area of this institution begins as of 24 th March 1948, with the establishment of the central Archive in Cacak. The initial territorial jurisdiction of the institution included the following administrative units Ljubić- Trnava, Dragačevo, Žiča, Takovo, Ljig, Moravički and Studenica. The first head of the institution was Margita Radović, teacher of the secondary grammar school – Gimnazija in Cacak.
This institution is responsible for taking care of archive and registry materials in the territories of the municipalities of Cacak, Gornji Milanovac and Lučani. It operates under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Serbia, and is professionally linked to its mother institution, the Archive of Serbia in Belgrade.
The Archive is situated in the building of the former Head Administration of the Cacak district, built in 1877, located at Gospodar Jovanova 2. The ground floor is occupied by the depots containing the archive materials, whereas the upstairs section contains the working premises: the library with the reading room, the photographic laboratory and the Archive gallery. The building housing the Archive is a site of outstanding cultural significance, based on a decision dated 11 th February 1974.
The residence of Master Jovan Obrenović in Cacak is the second oldest preserved structure in Cacak still in use today, second only to the church. It was built in 1835 by Jovan Obrenović, brother of Prince Miloš Obrenović.
The outer facade of the house features the coloured coat of arms of the Obrenović family, the only one that has benn preserved in the country, whereas the inside treasures the museum display of the old town house.
The National Museum in Cacak was establsihed on 30 th August 1952, and the first permanent exibition was opened in 1953. The National Museum has three thematic units – display of history from Neolith until the Middle Ages, the ’Ovčar and Kablar monasteries and churches of Cacak region’ and the ’Cacak region in risings and wars 1804-1941’. The five departments if the National Museum in Cacak house a collection of nearly 20,000 museum artefacts.
In the first 60 years of its existence (1952 - 2012), the museum organised a total of 448 exhibtions, undertaking 110 archaeological excavations and printing 181 publications. Since 1969, the museum regularly publishes its ’Collection of Papers of the National Museum’ (No. 42 was published in 2012), in addition to which 89 catalogues have been published alongside 51 special edition publications (monographs, collections of papers from scientific gatherings, guides). The Museum Library has 10,000 books aand 548 period publications titles, including 10.470 volumes.Visit the website
Established in 1961, the Nadežda Petrović Art Gallery is one of the oldest and the most significant institutions of this type in the country. The Gallery is actively engaged in the protection of moveable cultural goods and presentation of contemporary fine arts production through exhibitons.
The Gallery owns five collections – ’Nadežda and her Contemporaries’, ’Yugoslav Painiting in the Second Half of XX Century’, ’Memorial Collection of Bogić Risimović – Risim’ and the collection of Drawings and Caricatures of Pjer Križanić. Within the rich fund of XX century paintings, the Gallery treasures over 500 paintings, some of which are the prime master-pieces of their authors.
Legacy of the Risimović family, the ’Risim’ gallery is part of the ’Nadežda Petrović’ Art Gellery, featuring the permanent exhibition of paintings of Bogića Risimovića-Risim, painter, poet and writer, born on 14 th March 1926 in Cacak.
In addition to exhibitions, the gallery organises other types of programmes: lectures, promotions and concerts. Its part in the sphere of fine arts of our country is often active and inspirational, transcending that of a mere observer or cronista.